Simon Palmer’s blog

August 24, 2009

McAfee Anti-spam toolbar in Outlook 2007

Filed under: Uncategorized — Tags: — simonpalmer @ 11:30 am

The burning question is… how do you switch it off? You can hide the toolbar with a right-click and an un-check, but next time you start Outlook, it’s back again. Grr.

This is suddenly important because I just bought a netbook for email and Office activity and the screen size means that I am very protective of the amount of space taken up by things I never asked for. The McAfee toolbar seems to think it needs a whole horizontal line and I disagree, so I just want to get rid of it.

After much searching on the internet, without a great deal of success, I finally figured it out and thought I would post it here so I don’t forget for the next time I need to do it, and so it may help some other poor soul. And of course it is easy once you know how.

The McAfee anti-spam toolbar is a sort of add-in, so, from the Outlook menu select Tools -> Trust Centre. Then click on the link that says Add-ins and you will notice that it is not there. That’s because it is not a COM add-in but an Exchange Client Extension, of course, so at the bottom select “Exchange Client Extension” and press GO.

You should then get a dialog box with a list of your special add-ins and you just un-check McAfee and press OK… and then OK again from the Trust Centre screen and voila, it has gone for good – or until you want to turn it back on.

That worked for me and the greedy McAfee toolbar has finally disappeared!

Advertisements

14 Comments »

1. Thanks a lot, I have been looking everywhere for this. Why should it get the right to take up a whole line. Thanks again.
    Tom

Comment by Tom — September 6, 2009 @ 3:29 pm

2. Thanks! You made my day now that i’ve finally got rid of that extra taskbar.
    Siegfried

Comment by Siegfried Woldhek — September 8, 2009 @ 5:56 am

3. Thanks! That was exactly the answer I was looking for — worked perfectly. The more microsoft tries to “improve” the product, the more they dork it up. Just leave well enough alone already!

Comment by Amanda — December 20, 2009 @ 9:25 pm

4. My hat goes off, with a deep bow, to you good sir. Damn McAfee is annoying

Comment by John — January 13, 2010 @ 2:52 am

5. Thank you so very much, it has been bothering me for sometime now, searched everywhere and could not find the solution.

Comment by Kiraka — February 3, 2010 @ 6:58 am

6. Wonderful. Got rid of the Mcafee Spam message when Outlook 2007 opened. The message said to uninstall it in the Trust center, but it was in the Exchange Client Extension. Even the MCPR (McAfee Removal Tool) did not get rid of it there.
    Some of these 2010 Antivirus programs are getting too big for their boots. Terribly hard to get rid of when you want to install a different Antivirus solution after the 30 day trial on a new computer.

Comment by Jules — February 10, 2010 @ 8:08 pm

7. Gr8! That got rid of the pesky thing. McAfee is like a bad smell; you just can’t get rid of it!

Comment by Phil — March 29, 2010 @ 4:59 pm

8. Oh thank god! I too tried the McAfee removal tool, which did not work. Your solution fixed my problem! I’ve had that damned error message for months now.

Thank you so much!

Comment by Lily — April 15, 2010 @ 11:30 am

9. Man you are a legend!! Never post on these thing but you deserve a big thanks for saving my comp going out the window and Mcafee office getting raised…

Big Thanks

MCAFEE SUCKS!!!

Comment by GB — May 16, 2010 @ 6:53 pm

10. Wow! Thanks for taking the time to help out the community. Its people like you that all of us owe our sanity to. Live long and prosper fellow IT warrior.

Comment by Salvatore — July 9, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

11. thanks cracker! much appreciated!!

Comment by Joe — July 28, 2010 @ 11:19 am

12. Cheer help me to beget bank

Comment by Vodosaums — April 2, 2011 @ 1:48 am

13. We’re not Worthy!! Thanks

Comment by Jim — April 21, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

14. Thanks so very much. I tried others before I got to your link. Thanks again.

Comment by Fei — June 10, 2011 @ 10:04 pm